An irresistible spiced and hot yogurt soup which can be best served with gujarati pulav or khichdi
Kadhi is a Indian dish and different regions make kadhi in different ways. There is punjabi kadhi, rajasthani kadhi, maharashtrian kadhi and gujarati kadhi. The main ingredients are same, but the preparations are different. Today I am sharing with you the recipe of gujarati kadhi.
Gujarati food is becoming popular day by day and the most famous dish which is taking all the lime light is Gujarati Kadhi. It is a sweet and spicy yogurt soup which is a comfort meal of almost all gujaratis. The spiciness in the kadhi is due to all the spices like dry red chilli, cloves, cinnamon and of course some green chillies. It gets its sweetness by adding jaggery or sugar. Gujarati Kadhi goes best with Gujarati Pulav or Khichdi. It is advised to have a kadhi chawal after a full heavy meal, it helps in digestion.
To make a perfect gujarati kadhi you don't have to be a making kadhi from childhood. You just have to keep a few steps in mind which can help you in making the perfect gujarati kadhi.
You can make kadhi with yogurt(curd) or buttermilk. The curd or buttermilk has to be sour. To make it sour, keep it outside the refrigerator for few hours. For example, if you are making kadhi for lunch keep the yogurt or buttermilk out of fridge till you use it to make kadhi.
In this recipe i have used yogurt(curd) to make kadhi.
Tips for making a perfect gujarati kadhi
- Make sure the yogurt or buttermilk whatever you use to make kadhi is sour .
- If the yogurt or buttermilk is not sour you can add a few drops of lemon juice or kokam in kadhi.
- To balance the sourness its a must that, we add little sugar or jaggery to make a little sweet in taste.
- Always add the mentioned dry spices it will enhance the flavors of kadhi.
- Allow the fenugreek seeds to turn brown, this will give proper seasoning to the kadhi.
- For making the yogurt paste add enough besan(gram flour) to the curd, otherwise the kadhi will separate.
- I have used chopped green chillies and ginger in kadhi. However you can even make a paste and add.
- Whenever you have cold or cough just add little garlic to the kadhi it will help in reducing the cold.
So lets proceed step by step for making gujarati kadhi
For making kadhi we require a few dry ingredients for tempering. Dry red chilli, cloves, cinnamon stick, fenugreek seeds, cumin seeds, mustard seeds and curry leaves.
In a bowl take yogurt and besan
Make a fine yogurt paste with the help of hand blender.
Heat ghee and oil in a deep bottom vessel
Now add fenugreek seeds
After the fenugreek seeds turn dark brown then add dry red chilli, cinnamon stick, cloves, curry leaves, mustard seeds and finally cumin seeds
Allow the cumin seeds to crackle and then add the yogurt paste
Mix well and stir continuously for 2-3 minutes
Now add finely chopped ginger and green chillies
Now add salt and sugar and mix well
Add finely chopped coriander leaves and mix well. Taste the kadhi and in case its not sour enough you can add 3-4 drops of lemon juice.
Bring the kadhi to boil
Gujarati Kadhi is ready serve hot with Gujarati Pulav or Khichdi.
Recipe of Gujarati Kadhi
|An irresistible hot yogurt soup best served with gujarati pulav or khichdi|
- 2 cups Yogurt(curd)
- 4 tablespoon Besan(Gram Flour)
- 1/4th tablespoon Fenugreek Seeds
- 1 Dry Red Chilli
- 1/2 inch Cinnamon Stick
- 2-3 Cloves
- 1/4th tablespoon Mustard Seeds
- 1/4th tablespoon Cumin Seeds
- 1/2 tablespoon Chopped Ginger & Green Chilli
- 2 tablespoon Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Ghee(Clarified Butter)
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- 3-4 Curry Leaves
- 2 tablespoon Coriander Leaves
- Salt to Taste
- Take the yogurt and besan in a bowl
- Make a fine yogurt paste with the help of hand blender
- Heat ghee and oil in a deep bottom vessel
- Now add fenugreek seeds
- After the fenugreek seeds turn dark brown add dry red chilli, cinnamon stick, cloves, curry leaves, mustard seeds and finally cumin seeds
- Allow the cumin seeds to crackle and then add the yogurt paste
- Mix well and stir continuously for 2-3 minutes
- Now add finely chopped ginger and green chillies
- Add salt and sugar and mix well
- Add finely chopped coriander leaves and mix well. Taste the kadhi and in case its not sour enough you can add 3-4 drops of lemon juice
- Bring the kadhi to boil
- Gujarati Kadhi is ready serve hot with Gujarati Pulav or Khichdi