A colorful, spicy & semi dry mix of fresh green vegetables cooked with green chilies and spring onions, tastes best with Tawa Paratha or Roti
Veg Chilli Milli is for those who like the taste of fresh green vegetables like carrots, bell peppers, green peas and cabbage. I first had this amazing dish when my husband took me to a small food joint near our house in Pune. Since that day I have become a fan of this dish.
Veg Chilli Milli is slightly spicy dish as we add 2-3 green chilies in the preparation. However to balance the flavor we can reduce the amount of dry spices. The dish is also very colorful as we add bell-peppers, purple/red cabbage, white cabbage, carrots and green peas. You can also add beat root if you like.
Veg Chilli Milli is the perfect dish to make when you get bored of regular curries like paneer makhani, veg jaipuri or matar paneer. It is a humble non-paneer dish and also very low on fat and calories. Great at taste and with the nutritional benefit of so many green vegetables :)
So lets proceed step by step for making veg chilli milli
Cut carrots, bell-peppers (red, green) and cabbage (white, purple/red) into julienne. Finely chop spring onions. Slit the green spicy chillies into half. If you don't have purple cabbage also it is fine. If you like the taste of beat roots you can also add them for the color.
By the smell of the chillies you can get an idea how spicy they are. If you feel they are very spicy you can remove the seeds.
Add some green peas and boil all the vegetables for 5-6 minutes. Make sure you don't boil them too much. We want the veggies to be crunchy but not raw.
Drain the vegetables and keep aside
Heat oil in a not stick pan. Add cumin seeds and asafoetida. Allow the seeds to crackle.
Now add spring onion and sprinkle very little salt.
As the spring onions become tender add green chillies and saute for a minute
Now add the tomato puree
Mix well and cook for a minute. Now add the dry spices (red chili powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder) and salt
Cook for a couple of minutes and add some garam masala (or Kitchen King).
Now add all the boiled veggies
Mix well and cook for about 2 minutes.
Veg Chilli Milli is ready. Serve this veg hot in purple cabbage leaves. Garnish with coriander leaves and green chillies. It tastes best with jeera parathas.
Recipe of Veg Chilli Milli
|Colorful green vegetables cooked in a semi-dry gravy with spring onions and green chillies|
- 1/4th bell peppers each (green, red)
- 1/4th Cabbage (white, purple)
- 1/4th cup peas
- 3-4 spicy green chillies
- 1/2 carrot
- 1 large Tomato
- 1 Spring Onion
- 3-4th tablespoon oil
- 1/4th tablespoon cumin seeds
- 1/4th tablespoon turmeric powder
- 1/4th tablespoon red chilli powder
- 1/4th tablespoon coriander powder
- 1/4th tablespoon Kitchen King Masala/Garam Masala
- Pinch of Asafoetida
- Salt to Taste
- Cut the carrots, bell peppers and cabbage into julienne. Finely chop the spring onions. Slit the green spicy chillies into half
- In a non stick pan heat oil and add cumin seeds & asafoetida
- Allow the seeds to crackle. Now add spring onion and sprinkle very little salt
- As the spring onions become tender add turmeric powder
- Now add green chillies and saute for a minute
- Add tomato puree mix well
- Now add kashmiri red chilli powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, salt and kitchen king masala. If you do not have kitchen king masala you can add any garam masala
- Add all the boiled vegetables, mix well and cook for about 2 minutes
- Veg Chilli Milli is ready. Serve it hot in purple cabbage leaves. Garnish with coriander leaves and green chillies
You can also roll the veg chili milli in parathas and make a Frankie :), It will taste delicious with some tomato ketchup