Lemon Coriander Soup is a tangy soup with lots of vegetables and must be served hot
On my little one's naming ceremony we hosted a lunch for our close relatives. Lemon Coriander Soup was among one of the appetizers on the menu. It was a huge hit among the guests and everyone liked it a lot. That is when I decided to try this soup at home. My baby is now 15 month old and he just loves this soup. It is full of healthy ingredients and I happily make this for him every week.
If your kid or any other family member doesn't like coriander leaves, here is a nice way to include them in their diet. Coriander leaves have a lot of benefits and I make sure to feed them to my family. I am sure all you guys are going to love it. I also make peanut coriander chutney to include coriander leaves in our daily diet.
You must strain the soup if you want to make a clear lemon coriander soup, but I like to serve it just like that.
So lets proceed step by step for making lemon coriander soup
We require vegetable stock for making lemon coriander soup. So first let me show you how to make vegetable stock.
Vegetable stock is water with flavours of vegetables. You can make vegetable stock the way you prefer. Chop and wash all the veggies like carrots, cauliflower, cabbage, potatoes, onions and coriander leaves. Boil the veggies for about 10-15 minutes
Strain the water and vegetable stock is ready. You can store this stock in refrigerator and use it as required. You can store it for a maximum of 2 months period. However I prefer using it within a week.
Before we start making soup lets do all the preparations. Finely chop ginger, garlic, onions, spring onion bulb, cabbage and coriander leaves. Cut carrots into cubes.
When you chop coriander leaves preserve the stem also.
Heat oil in a deep bottomed non stick vessel. Add the chopped onions, garlic, ginger, and spring onion bulb
Saute the onions till they become translucent. After onions become translucent add besan/gram flour
Roast gram flour/besan for 2-3 minutes till you get nice aroma.
Mix all the ingredients well and add vegetable stock we prepared
Now add cabbage, carrots and coriander stem and bring it to boil
Add salt and black pepper powder
cook till carrots are soft and tender and add some coriander leaves
Cook for a couple of minutes and finally add the lemon juice
Lemon Coriander Soup is ready. Many people would prefer to strain the soup before serving however I prefer to have it with the vegetables.
Lemon Coriander Soup
|Lemon Coriander Soup is a tangy soup with lots of vegetables and must be served hot|
- 1 small Onion
- 1 Spring Onion Bulb
- 1/4th White Cabbage
- 1 Small Carrot
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- 1 inch Ginger
- 3 tablespoon Coriander Leaves
- 1.5 tablespoon Besan/Gram Flour
- 2 tablespoon Lemon Juice
- 2-3 tablespoon Oil
- 1/4th tablespoon Black Pepper Powder
- 2.5 cups Vegetable Stock
- Salt to Taste
- Finely chop ginger, garlic, onions, spring onion bulb, cabbage and coriander leaves. Cut carrots into cubes
- Heat oil in a deep bottomed non stick vessel
- Add onions, garlic, ginger, and spring onion bulb
- After onions become translucent add besan/gram flour
- Roast gram flour/besan for 2-3 minutes till you get nice aroma
- Mix all the ingredients well and add vegetable stock
- Now add cabbage and carrots and coriander stem and bring it to boil
- Add salt and black pepper powder
- Cook till carrots are soft and tender and add coriander leaves
- Finally add lemon juice and cook for a minute
- Lemon Coriander Soup is ready.Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot.
- You can replace the vegetable stock with chicken stock if you are not a vegetarian or else even plain water will do
- You can skip the onions and garlic if you want to make no onion no garlic soup
- If your baby is less than 15 months old, strain the soup and serve it.
- Also if you are feeding this soup to your baby avoid black pepper powder