Indian wheat base baked pizza topped with vegetables and mozzarella cheese
Those who have lived in a joint family in India will know that everybody in the house has a preference for different types of food. Especially during dinner elders would prefer to eat simple food like chapati and sabzi while kids would ask for pizza or pasta. Kids now a days are becoming to obsessed with eating pizza and elders are always worried about the all purpose flour(maida) and its effects on health.
So here is a wheat base pizza, Bhakri pizza. Bhakri is a flat bread made of wheat similar to roti but coarser than a roti and also thick and crispy. In Gujarat, Rajasthan and Maharashtra it is commonly consumed during dinner. In Bhakri pizza we will simply replace the base or the pizza with a Bhakri. Elders can have Bhakri with sabzi while kids can enjoy Bhakri Pizza. You can check my recipe of making crispy bhakri here.
Whenever I make bhakri for dinner at home I sure make a few extra bhakris on purpose. I use the extra leftover bhakri's to make bhakri pizza on next day for snacks. Its a quick fix recipe. There are many other healthy and quick fix snacks I prepare like burnt chana salad, masala puffed rice etc you can check the snacks section from my blog.
I have made this bhakri(base) with just wheat flour. However you can use other flour like jowar, bajra etc and make a multigrain base for your kids. I have made this pizza in oven, however you can make it on a gas top.
So lets proceed step by step to make bhakri pizza
For making Bhakri Pizza we first need to make bhakri. You can even use the leftover bhakris to make the bhakri pizza. I always make homemade pizza sauce a day ahead and store in refrigerator. This reduces the work load.
In a bowl sieve wheat flour and add 1 tablespoon ghee and salt
By adding little water knead it to a stiff dough. Take little oil and grease the dough and keep aside for 30 minutes.
Before making the bhakri lets preheat the oven at 200 degrees.
Take a lemon size portion from the dough.
Roll it into a flat bread. A little thicker then chapati.
With help of rolling pin make marks as shown in picture
Heat a non stick pan and on a low flame place the flat bread.
Now roast till bhakri is crispy and golden brown on both the sides. Use a cloth to put pressure to cook the bhakris as shown below in the picture.
Our base is ready now apply some olive oil on the bhakri and add the pizza sauce. Please check the recipe of homemade pizza sauce here .
Add veggies of your choice. I have used whatever veggies I had in the freeze for the toppings like corn capsicum and onions.
Now sprinkle mozzarella cheese, black pepper powder and pizza pasta mix.
Place the pizza in the pre heated oven for 15 minutes. You can even make this pizza on tawa. The browning of cheese will be missing but still it tastes really nice.
Bake the Bhakri Pizza till the cheese is melted and golden brown in colour.
Recipe of Bhakri Pizza
|Indian wheat base baked pizza topped with vegetables and mozzarella cheese|
- 2 cups Wheat Flour
- 1 tablespoon Ghee(Clarified Butter)
- 1 cup Home made Pizza Sauce
- 1 small bowl Vegetables(Corn, Capsicum, Onions)
- 500 grams Mozzarella Cheese
- 2 tablespoon Mixed Herbs
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- Salt to Taste
- In a bowl sieve wheat flour and add oil,ghee & salt
- By adding little water knead it to a stiff dough
- Take little oil and grease the dough and keep aside for 30 minutes
- Before making the bhakri lets preheat the oven at 200 degrees
- Take a lemon size portion from the dough and roll it into a flat bread. Flat bread should be slightly thicker than roti
- Make a few marks with the help of rolling pin
- Heat a non stick pan and on a low flame place the flat bread
- Now roast till bhakri is crispy and golden brown on both the sides
- Use a cloth to put pressure to cook the bhakris
- Our base is ready now apply some olive oil on the bhakri and add the pizza sauce. Please check the recipe of homemade pizza sauce here
- Add veggies of your choice. I have used whatever veggies I had in the freeze for the toppings like corn capsicum and onions
- Now sprinkle mozzarella cheese
- Bake the Bhakri Pizza till the cheese is melted and golden brown in colour
- Serve hot Bhakri Pizza
Don't have to worry anymore as kids will be eating wheat base pizza. From elders to kids everyone is happy :) If you are looking for other Italian recipes check Pasta In White Sauce , Penne Arrabiata , Vegetable Pizza