Moong Dal(split yellow gram) and Rice Khichdi is a very popular Khichdi in Gujarat, also known as yellow khichdi
Mung Dal Khichdi is a simple khichdi prepared with minimum spices. Rice and yellow mung dal are cooked together in pressure cooker with turmeric powder and salt. The cooked khichdi will be yellow in color and that's why it is also named yellow khichdi.
The main reason for it being popular is because its very lite. Moong Dal is easy to digest, so its served to babies or sick person. If you have bad stomach or down with fever this Khichdi is the best. Its a very plain bland dish without any spiciness. The only spice added is turmeric powder.
You can eat it alone or can serve with any mild curry or pickle. The ingredients required for this Khichdi are very few and its quick to make. Moong dal and rice Khichdi is also very healthy as its rich in protein, fiber, carbohydrates etc. Its made for the babies especially because its easy to digest and is full of benefits.
We usually serve Mung dal khichdi with bharva aloo baingan sabzi, curd and papad. At my home this is a Sunday afternoon lunch. Sometimes we do make vaghareli khichdi instead of this moong dal khichdi.
So let's proceed step by step to make Moong Dal khichdi
I always prefer to taking rice and dal both in equal proportions. In a bowl take half cup dal and half cup rice and mix them.
Wash it 3-4 times in water. Soak it in water for 15-20 minutes.
Now put the soaked dal and rice in cooker
Add salt and turmeric powder (If your baby is below 1 year of age avoid salt). Add 3 times water to the volume of dal rice mix.
Pressure cook for 4-5 whistles and set aside to cool till the steam is released. Stir well with the help of spoon and add ghee.
Serve lukewarm with curd and papad.
Recipe of Moong Dal Khichdi
|Pressure cooked healthy mix of split yellow gram and rice (best for babies/sick)|
- 1/2 cup Moong Dal(yellow split gram)
- 1/2 cup Rice
- 1/4th tablespoon Turmeric Powder
- Salt to Taste
- In a bowl take half cup dal and half cup rice and mix them
- Wash it 3-4 times in water. Soak it in water for 15-20 minutes
- Now put the soaked dal and rice in cooker and add salt and turmeric powder
- Add 3 times water to the volume of dal rice mix
- Pressure cook for 4-5 whistles and set aside to cool till the steam is released
- Stir well with the help of spoon and add ghee
- Moong Dal Khichdi is ready. Serve lukewarm with curd and papad.
- Soaking the khichdi mixture in water for sometime will make the khichdi smooth.
- I always add dal and rice in equal proportion but if you like you can change the proportion according to your taste.
- While making khichdi sometimes water spills outside the pressure cooker, to avoid that add few drops of cooking oil.
- Also add a steal spoon in the cooker with the khichdi, this will also help from water spilling from pressure cooker.
If you are looking for other khichdi recipes check Vaghareli Khichdi